Our client, one of the top 10 Mortgage lending clients in the US, is seeking several Underwriter III’s for multiple open roles! The Underwriter III will be underwriting conventional, FHA, VA, USDA, new construction, and condominium project loans. DE Certification highly preferred! These roles can sit onsite or be remote.
Location: Remote (FL, GA, AL NC, SC, VA, TN)
Compensation: $90-100K + (potential to make 1,200- 4,000 in monthly incentives) - may pay more based on experience!
Summary: The Underwriter III plays an important role in the organization by performing a number of activities related to the company’s retail operations functions. The role is primarily responsible, under intermittent to infrequent supervision, for underwriting conventional, FHA, VA, USDA, new construction, and condominium project loans according to company, secondary market investor, and government agency standards. This includes ensuring all tax, title, insurance, and closing documentation associated with the loan applications are accurate and complete, and approving or denying loan applications based on compliance with underwriting standards and risk management factors. The Underwriter III is considered the “go to” subject matter expert when the Lead/Supervisor/Manager is not available.
- Review and evaluate loan documents to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with company standards, federal and agency standards and guidelines, as well as any applicable state-specific and or local regulations, ordinances, etc.
- Analyze customer’s loan-to-value ratio, debt-to-income ratio, credit report, application, income and assets, source(s) of down payment funds, and supporting documentation to identify potential fraud or misrepresentation.
- Review appraisals to ensure that loans meet secondary market, investor, and company standards.
- Work with Loan Processors and Loan Officers on collecting information and documentation necessary to finalize incomplete loan packages.
- Determine if additional documentation or information would aid loan decision; request additional documentation or information accordingly.
- Provide options and recommendations to borrowers regarding suitable loan programs.
- Stay abreast of current regulations and industry trends that affect compliance and decision-making.
- Verify that system input is accurate and that company systems match Automated Underwriting System (AUS).
- Use expertise to answer questions and resolve escalated issues from junior-level teammates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college courses/technical training preferred
- 5+ years of recent experience underwriting conventional, FHA, VA, or Bond Program loans, and/or five or more years experience underwriting jumbo, or permanent/one-time close loans.
- Direct Endorsement (DE) certification highly preferred; must have current certification(s) for any assigned region with state-specific requirements to originate/supervise loans, along with endorsements including Direct, VA, Auto and SAR.
- Expert-level knowledge of overall mortgage lending processes, including underwriting, funding, and loan processing.
- Expert-level knowledge of valid documentation related to the processing consumer mortgage applications (e.g., tax returns, financial statements and records, verification of income and deposits, etc.).
- Expert-level knowledge of underwriting and regulatory requirements; detailed knowledge of federal, state, and regulatory mortgage requirements/guidelines
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment, strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong detail orientation and highly organized.
- Prior experience using internal data entry systems, Microsoft Word, Excel and PDF/Document Retention programs.
Category Code: JN005, JN057